My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Woods, Missouri

My loves: husband, family, friends, our Scottie dogs and holidays. Fun stuff: Being with my children, shopping with my friends, traveling, "playing" with graphics on my computer.

  • Captain Jack Cracker
  • Ces
  • Joy Eliz
  • Scarecrow
  • Teri
  • Sunday, December 17, 2006

    HELP


    HELP
    Originally uploaded by Woods Babe.
    It was about 6:30am when I decided to finish my Christmas cards. I had been up all night with Maggie, she has a skin infection and since I was wide awake, what better than to do them. Since the cards were printed out complete with a letter, all I had to do was the labels. The night before I had checked the list of addresses on my diskette, made changes, saved them then decided to print out the next day.

    I made coffee, strolled down the hall into the den, opened Microsoft windows, clicked on the open icon and clicked on the “xmas card list”. Grinding noises started. More noises. Then my worst nightmare, “your disk is corrupted” appeared. Worst because this was the ONLY list I had.

    AREN’T THESE DAMN DISKS SUPPOSED TO BE RELIABLE?! I shouted in my brain. Didn’t want to wake SC. I think I muttered,
    “shit”, then tried to retrieve my list. I went to “my computer”, clicked on “explore” then the floppy icon. I went to properties and saw the “fix” lists. I immediately clicked both (there were two) then waited. A little more grinding noises then a message, “your disk is not formatted, would you like to format now?” WHAT ?!?!

    So I formatted the damn thing.

    Smiles
    Babe

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Teri said...

    In this case 'help' and 'dam' mean the same! I have also been there and how dam frustrating it it!!

    12/17/2006 11:07 AM  
    Blogger Designing Fairy said...

    Oh, how unbelievably frustrating! Computers are supposed to be our friends and yet!!!!!!!

    12/17/2006 11:30 AM  
    Blogger cjhardy said...

    Wonderful whimsical illustration. We can all identify one week before Christmas. Thanks for sharing your story.

    12/17/2006 11:44 AM  
    Blogger Joy Eliz said...

    Is that the 'evil-eye' imprinted on your disk? I loose my address book all the time, thank goodness Dan has the master copy and knows how to fix my PC :)

    12/17/2006 3:29 PM  
    Blogger Babe in the Woods said...

    Actually that's a hole in the middle of the diskette made by a bullet. And my eye looking through.

    I really didn't shoot it, but I really wanted to.

    12/17/2006 3:41 PM  
    Blogger carla said...

    Well...thank goodness help was only a matter of formatting. Otherwise, that would have been a rather untimely visit from someone who visits me from time to time, Bummer Dude. Your drawing is so wonderfully expressive! I hope you and the Scarecrow have a Happy Christmas:>

    12/18/2006 4:04 AM  
    Blogger Twisselman said...

    Can't count how many times floppies have done that to me. Even the flash memory sticks eventually go bad... Gremlins!
    Love the illustration... the eye works even before you explained the bullet hole.
    Christmas cheer to you!

    12/18/2006 8:10 AM  
    Blogger ° said...

    sounds like another person who could use a MAC lol we dont have floopys to deal with just ur CDs which can also be a pain at times lol

    12/18/2006 8:55 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home