My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Woods, Missouri

My loves: husband, family, friends, our Scottie dogs and holidays. Fun stuff: Being with my children, shopping with my friends, traveling, "playing" with graphics on my computer.

  • Captain Jack Cracker
  • Ces
  • Joy Eliz
  • Scarecrow
  • Teri
  • Sunday, August 13, 2006

    Play


    Play
    Originally uploaded by Woods Babe.
    It was the mid 80's to the early 90's when I played tennis. There were 8 of us that would venture every summer till early fall and play our hearts out. At the end, we would have a party and I would write up a summary of the years play. This one is vintage 1991 titled.....

    WILSON-PENN-SPAULDING

    When someone decides to take up tennis they go through the ritural of buying the best or affordable racket they can find. They take up tennis lessons and purchase those cute tennis outfits. Everything to make them feel like tennis players. Bags, wrist-sweat bands, wraps for their racket handles, shock absorbing do-dads and last but not least, the BALLS. I can't speak for anyone else but I do know that I never realized there was a special ball for every type of play. You have the PRACTICE balls and the HARD COURT balls. There are SOFT COURT balls and MATCHPOINT balls and there are the balls for the CASUAL PLAYER.

    But the tennis balls our group purchased had qualities that WILSON-PENN-SPAULDING never dreamed of. For instance, the balls Sue had. As I put it, those balls were from Hell! So powerful they returned with the speed of light and out of sight. I believe they were good for many games. Then there were the balls that had minds of their own or was it just Maxine's aim that got that ball stuck in the pine tree? Remember Pat's high balls that few could return? Did you ever see balls bounce so high? Dirty trick Pat! and what about the $16.00 tennis balls Maxine brought. Did they bounce better? And of course I had to purchase balls with slits in them, but they bounced just the same. Proving technology has hit the tennis ball.

    But as we go out next year and purchase our balls, maybe we should look for a tennis ball designed more for us. The SOFT BALL for the CASUAL PLAYER on HARD COURT cause we aren't CHAMPIONS going for the MATCHPOINT. Do you think WILSON-PENN-SPAULDING would be interested?

    Smiles
    Babe

    My apologies for the lengthy post and poor coloring on the players arm and hand..... I am still in training.

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Teri said...

    Cute job on this Babe! To me, tennis is like golf, hitting that little ball around and then wonder why! Done both...in the past :)

    8/13/2006 11:02 AM  
    Blogger Joy Eliz said...

    What a fantastic illo! Love how the net has broken strings:)

    Fantastic!

    8/13/2006 12:41 PM  
    Blogger carla said...

    I think you did a great job, and I love the combination of the story and the drawing! I was never much for tennis, but I do hit a tennis ball down the hill for my dog to run after. She goes absolutely nuts when she sees me with the litlle racquet in my hand...she knows it's play time for the pup:>

    8/13/2006 8:14 PM  
    Blogger The Unknown said...

    Ha! Don't blaim the poor balls, blame the player. Wait... that didn't come out quite the way I meant.
    Cute illustration!
    love

    8/15/2006 1:37 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home